“HERE BE DRAGONS…” was the legend used on medieval maps to warn people away from unexplored territories…
As far as Leicester City are concerned it might as well be written on the ‘Welcome to Wales– Croeso I Gymru’ sign, because it really isn’t a happy hunting ground for the Foxes, and the thought of two trips in a week doesn’t fill me with optimism.
City have never had much luck in the Principality, our proud unbeaten run in 2010-11 came to an end at the Cardiff City Stadium one Tuesday night. There was no reward for the loyal band of fans that followed City across Europe…one describing the return journey as taking: “Three and three-quarter hours after four motorway closures, four diversions and 196 miles.”
That 2-0 defeat matched the one at Swansea in October, following on from the previous season’s even more miserable showing.
Nigel Pearson’s side lost at Swansea and Cardiff in the league, then were knocked out of the FA Cup with a 4-2 defeat at Cardiff and then played at the Cardiff City Stadium yet again in the play-off semi-final. Now, technically, that was a fantastic 3-2 win for City, but that was soon forgotten when Yann Kermorgant dinked his infamous penalty at Bluebirds’ keeper David Marshall.
Looking back, it seems that a highlights DVD of City’s triumphs in the land of mountains, valleys and castles would be very, very short.
* 1961-62 – Going back into the mists of time, a 4-0 win at Cardiff (Cheeseborough 2, Keyworth, King).
* 1979-80 – Left-back Dennis Rofe produced two 40 yard efforts at the Vetch Field to beat Swansea 2-0.
* 1979-80 – A 1-0 win at Ninian Park with a Bobby Smith goal helping Jock Wallace’s side towards the Division Two title.
* 1979-80 – A superb long range free-kick from Eddie Kelly was enough to beat Wrexham at the Racecourse Ground and put City on top of Division Two.
* 1986-87 – A 2-0 League Cup win at Swansea, with goals from Gary McAllister and Alan Smith sealing a first leg victory for Bryan Hamilton’s City. The joy of which was somewhat tempered as we were chased across a garage forecourt by inflamed natives.
* 2005-06 – A low key 1-0 League Cup win at Cardiff thanks to a goal from Nils Eric Johansson.
* 2007-08 – A 1-0 win at Ninian Park thanks to a bizarre own goal from Darren Purse.
And that’s it. Apart from one, glorious, Dragon-slaying season under Jock Wallace we have very little to show from our trips to Wales in the last half century… but new season new players eh?
Perhaps this season could be different…. perhaps…
Subscribe to The Fox fanzine for the 2011-12 season and receive a free set of four Leicester City postcards…
You can either post this form to the address below, or pay online via Paypal using the blue ‘Fox Subs’ button on the right…