Reshuffled Leicester beat League Leaders Blackpool

Leicester City 1:0 Blackpool

City went into the international break with a much-needed win after defeating league-leaders Blackpool at the KPS on Saturday evening.

Nigel Pearson had an early problem to deal with against an Ian Holloway side with maximum points from their opening three games.  De Laet injured himself in the pre-match warm-up, which saw St Ledger promoted from the bench and Waghorn dragged away from his pre-match meal.

City dominated the game for much of the first half.
Vardy broke through early on but placed his shot too close to keeper Gilks, and then Gilks had to be alert to keep out a low shot from Marshall.
Dyer also flashed a shot over the bar when well placed.
Gilks then tipped a Marshall free-kick round his left hand upright at full stretch.
Late in the half Blackpool managed to get their passing game together and created a few chances. Taylor-Fletcher sent a long-ranger narrowly over the bar; Ince scuffed a weak effort when well placed; and then Ferguson sent a thumping volley against the right hand post.

But City regained their ascendancy in the second half. They built up a head of steam and a series of penalty claims led to increasing pressure on referee Michael Jones from a raucous crowd.
Vardy appeared to have been shoved over in the box but Jones waved play on. Then Dyer had his legs hooked from underneath him when about to shoot for a much stronger claim. King had the ball in the net, but Nugent was judged offside. So when Vardy ran across Gomes and got his foot trodden on in the 54th minute the roars for a penalty seemingly could not be ignored.
Although Gilks guessed right Marshall’s spot-kick was firmly struck home to give City the lead.
City had some defending to do after that. Schmeichel saved from Phillips and Ince had a chance before Nigel Pearson re-shuffled a pack short on defenders.
St Ledger was replaced by striker Schlupp who went to left-back, Konchesky moved to centre-half and Moore to right-back.
Although there appeared to be confusion in the City ranks for a while they managed to settle, and Dyer should have doubled the lead when his point blank shot on goal hit Baptiste.

Blackpool had an attacking spell late on but City’s makeshift defence, marshalled by an immense performance from Morgan, held out fairly comfortably for a vital win.

Nigel Pearson was happy: “I think the tempo of our game was very good, we dominated possession and we didn’t allow them to settle. Blackpool are a good footballing side and if you give them too much time on the ball they can hurt you, so the tempo was always going to be important. In general we were very positive in how we dealt with a side that have started the season very well.”

Leicester: Schmeichel, St Ledger (Schlupp 63), Morgan, Moore, Konchesky, Marshall (Knockaert 68), King, Drinkwater, Dyer (Beckford 77), Nugent, Vardy. Unused Subs: Logan, Waghorn, James, Futacs.
Blackpool: Gilks, Eardley, Baptiste, Cathcart, Crainey, Osbourne, Ferguson (K Phillips 71), Gomes (M Phillips 57), Ince, Dicko (Delfouneso 66), Taylor-Fletcher. Unused Subs: Halstead, Harris, Angel, Sylvestre.
Referee; Michael Jones (Cheshire). Attendance: 18,655 (558 away).
 …to subscribe to The FOX for the 2012-13 season via Paypal and receive your Summer Special and free set of City postcards by return of post, press this blue button…  be quick – we are running out of Summer Specials…

Alternatively you could print off and fill in this form…


Leave a comment

Filed under Uncategorized

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s