Another stalemate in Cardiff

Cardiff City 0:0 Leicester City

Yet another tight game between Cardiff and Leicester ended goalless at the Cardiff City Stadium on Sunday afternoon…

The City side had ten changes from the midweek League Cup meeting on the same ground, starting with the same side that beat Brighton last Saturday.
After a well-observed minute’s silence for the miners that died in last week’s tragedy at Gleision the sides kicked off in bright Autumn sunshine.
City had the best of the early spell, quickly settling into their possession game and Gerrard did well to block an effort from Beckford; while King fired wide of the target.
Cardiff were forced into an early change when Conway limped off with a twisted ankle to be replaced by City nemesis Robert Earnshaw.
Earnshaw was soon on the thick of it, being dispossessed ten yards out by the magnificent Bamba, with appeals for a penalty rightly falling on deaf ears.
At the other end Earnshaw was the Bluebirds hero of the hour when Peltier got his head to a Wellens’ corner only to see the Welsh international clear off the line.
City pressed forward and Beckford was two inches shy of getting his head to a fantastic Konchesky cross from the right.
A Whittingham shot then forced Schmeichel into a rare bit of action, before Earnshaw’s brief but eventful cameo was over as he limped out of the game.
Mills then went close with a half-volley but the sides went in 0-0 at the break.
A Tale of Two Cities and a Game of Two Halves. Cardiff boss Malky Mackay had spent much of the first half in a gibbering rage and must have translated his frustration during the break. The Bluebirds, having used their third sub, came out looking like a different side and dominated play for much of the second half.
Whittingham sent a shot narrowly over and then swerved a free-kick into the side netting.
Konchesky’s well-struck free-kick was tipped away by Marshall, but it was the home side who looked more likely winners at this stage, Gestede being denied by a fine Mills block.  
Konchesky, having his finest game ina City shirt to date, then troubled Marshall with another long range effort, the keeper just recovering before Beckford closed in.
Cardiff, with Gestede limping badly and no more subs to bring on, then ran out of steam and City had several chances to win the game. With Johnson on for Fernandes City had a late spell of pressure against a packed Cardiff rearguard.
Vassell, in on the right, fired a hurried shot wide; King prodded a loose ball inches over the bar and then Vassell watched his downward header from close in bounce up and onto the bar of an empty goal.
It was close, but not close enough for City, who had to settle for a point. 
A frustrated Sven commented:  “It is normal for new players to take time to settle in. You can use the excuse of new players taking time to settle in the first three, four or five games but not any more. We can’t keep saying that. We have to play for the whole game like we did in the last 15 minutes here.”

Cardiff: Marshall, McNaughton, Hudson (Blake 45), Gerrard, Naylor; Cowie, Gunnarsson, Kiss, Whittingham, Conway (Earnshaw 25, Gestede 43), Miller. Subs: Parish, Mason.
Leicester: Schmeichel, Peltier, Mills, Bamba, Konchesky. Abe, King, Wellens, Fernandes (Johnson 74), Vassell, Beckford (Schlupp 72). Subs: Weale, Pantsil, Danns.
Referee: M Haywood (West Yorkshire). Attendance: 21,154.


Leave a comment

Filed under Uncategorized

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s