Rovers Return Empty Handed After Super City Show

Leicester City 5:1 Doncaster Rovers

City shrugged off a stuttering first half performance to produce a superb display of football after the break, Sven Goran Eriksson’s men defeating Doncaster 5-1 at Filbert Way on Saturday.

There was one change to the City side with Vitor returning from injury and Hobbs demoted to the bench.
The ‘Friends and Family’ scheme had insured a big crowd for this game, but it was the Doncaster fans who were celebrating after just six minutes.
Coppinger’s cross from the right was acrobatically volleyed home by Sharp to give Rovers an unexpected lead.
City never really got their act together for the remainder of the first half. Wellens and Cunningham both fired shots over the bar and King looped a header onto the woodwork. It could have got worse for City when Healy broke clear on goal and rounded Weale before losing his balance at the vital moment and slicing his shot well wide.
City had to wait for the last minute of the half to level the game, and then they enjoyed a big slice of fortune.
Dyer, on for the injured Bednar, pursued a ball being shepherded back to Sullivan, and then fell over the keeper. The referee pointed to the spot and was pursued by furious Rovers players, before Gallagher stepped up to blast home the spot kick.
If the equaliser had been soft, there wasn’t much doubt about City’s second half display. The home side piled on the pressure from the start and Cunningham hit the bar with a long range effort and King forced a good save from Sullivan.
With City attacking constantly it was only a matter of time before they took the lead and Doncaster cracked in the 61st minute.
Wellens picked the ball up in midfield and was allowed to charge forward 20 yards without being closed down before firing a low shot just inside the left hand post.
Eight minutes later the game was won when City swept upfield and Wellens put Naughton in on the right. The on-loan right back slotted the ball coolly past Sullivan before treating L1 to a double somersault.
City added a fourth in the 75th minute when a clever through ball from Dyer set up Vassell for a neat finish under the advancing Sullivan, for his first goal in a City shirt.
City made it 5-1 deep into time added on, King beating the offside trap but sneding his shot against the right hand upright, but substitute Waghorn was on hand to chip the rebound into an empty net to finish off a superb second half  performance for City.
Sven was very happy: “It was an amazing turnaround. We could not control it in the first half, we were chasing the game. In the second half we were brilliant, absolutely fantastic, creating chances on many occasions and playing good football. Everyone was happy. They were all nice goals.”

Leicester: Weale, Davies, Vitor, Naughton, King, Abe, Wellens, Cunningham, Gallagher (Waghorn 78), Vassell (Oakley 86), Bednar (Dyer 37). Subs Not Used: Logan, Fryatt, Hobbs, Moussa.
Doncaster: Sullivan, Martis, O’Connor (Souza 75), Hird, Thomas, Coppinger (Wilson 86), Oster, Stock, Sharp, Hayter, Healy (Shiels 76). Subs Not Used: Lockwood, Brooker, Woods, Fairhurst.

 Referee: J Linington (Newport). Attendance: 27,549.


Leave a comment

Filed under match reports

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s