Yorkshire Terriers

Leeds United 1 : 2 Leicester City

Leicester City posted their first away league win of the season at Elland Road and repeated the 2-1 scoreline from the Carling Cup tie in August with a hugely impressive display with everyone contributing.

Sven made just one change from the side that drew with Hull with Franck Moussa replacing Steve Howard.

City started like an express train and could realistically have been three up after 15 minutes, King, Waghorn and Moussa all missing early chances before Berner hit a cracking shot against the underside of the bar to leave City’s travelling faithful wondering what they had to do to break the deadlock. City’s delightful football was undoing Leeds time and again and after another good move a Moussa shot was saved by Jason Brown leading to a crescendo of boos from the home fans.

Leeds eventually settled and managed a couple of harmless efforts themselves with Simon Grayson also stemming the tide by changing the formation of the home side and half time arrived with the scores level but City feeling that they should have been at least a couple of goals to the good.

The second half started with City still trying to take the game to Leeds with the more ‘up-tempo’ game that we had been told to expect and the midfield prepared to press Leeds inside their own half. But it was the home side that was improving and following Leeds’ first corner on the hour Becchio put a good header wide. This was followed by the first City substitution of the night when Abe replaced the ineffective Gallagher.

City finally took the lead in the 64th minute when Kyle Naughton scored only the second goal of his career. He made an excellent run down the right, beat the full back, cut inside and put the ball past Brown with a deflected shot. It was just reward for City’s display and it had been coming for some time. This was Grayson’s cue to throw on Gradel and Kilkenny in a bid to turn the game around with City dominant.

Leeds struggled to find a way through and City seemed content to soak up Leeds’ efforts and threaten on the break and with 14 minutes to go Sven replaced Moussa with Howard who immediately assumed the role of lone striker.

It was Howard who doubled City’s lead in the 82nd minute when Andy King did really well to set up the big striker for a lovely side-foot finish. The two goal advantage lasted only a minute however, when Gradel’s cross found Becchio who headed past Weale in to the bottom corner and gave the home side hope. It was Leeds’ first effort on target and the cue for late pressure but the only other late chance came the way of Martyn Waghorn who stung Brown’s fingers with a 25 yard effort.

It was a thoroughly deserved first away win for City and hopefully a result that offers a platform for the rest of the season as Sven begins to have an impact on this underachieving side. He will still be concerned by only a two goal return from a dominant display but it is clear that the pieces are beginning to fall in to place.


City: Weale, Naughton, Hobbs, Davies, Berner, Gallagher (Abe 60), King, Oakley (c), Wellens, Waghorn, Moussa (Howard 76).
Subs: Logan, Neilson, Morrison, Teixeira, Howard, Kennedy, Abe

Leeds: Brown, Connolly, Collins, Naylor (c), Becchio, Howson, Faye (Kilkenny 69), Watt (Johnson 30), Snodgrass (Gradel 69), Somma, McCartney
Subs: Bruce, Gradel, Kilkenny, Johnson, Hughes, Alnwick, Nunez


Referee: Dean Whitestone     Attendance: 22, 775



Leave a comment

Filed under Uncategorized

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s