City Draw First Blood in Fratton Park Double Bill

Portsmouth 1:2 Leicester City

First half goals from Michael Morrison and Lloyd Dyer were enough to see City hurdle Portsmouth in the League Cup third round tie at Fratton Park on Tuesday night…

With two games at Portsmouth in four days Paulo Sousa took the opportunity to test his squad strength for this Carling Cup encounter, making eight changes to his side, Yuki Abe and Miguel Vitor both starting for the first time, and Andy King wearing the captain’s armband.
City clicked immediately and could have taken a second minute lead, Sonko deflecting away a Dyer effort.
The travelling fans were soon celebrating, however, as City went ahead for the first time this season in the third minute. Pompey keeper Ashworth managed to save another Dyer shot, but Morrison was in the right place to blast home the rebound.    
With some good work by Abe City set up a number of chances against a beleagured home side. Morrison headed over, and Howard volleyed wide, before Gallagher hit the bar from an Abe cross.
City did look a little vunerable at the back though and Logan did well to deny efforts from Nugent and Lawrence. 
Portsmouth came into the game more towards half time and Mokoena had a header cleared off th eline by Kennedy.
It was City, however, who doubled their lead two minutes before the break when Dyer, sent through by King, beat Ashdown at his near post.
Portsmouth almost found a way through in first half injury time when an error saw Nugent in on goal, but Logan produced another fine save.
Pompey began the second half in determined fashion and had the ball in the net in the 50th minute, but Sonko’s header was rule dout for a push on Moreno. 
A minute later Logan blocked yet another Nugent effort to preserve City’s two goal lead.
In the 63rd minute confusion reigned as N’Guessan came on for King, and Hughes was dismissed for the home side with a straight red card for what can only have been dissent. Not sure what he could have said, but it hit the mark.
Ten-man Pompey seemed to be galvanised by this and and Logan produced another fine save to block a Lawrence shot, but could do nothing to prevent an 82nd minute breakthrough for the home side. The City keeper got down well to parry a Ward header, but Lawrence was on hand to convert the rebound and ensure a nervy final passage of play.
But the City back line weathered some late pressure and secured a place in the last sixteen…
Friday’s repeat clash might be more important with league points at stake but Paulo Sousa was a happy man:
“Now we have an opportunity to get an important club in the next round and our fans can enjoy it, and feel closer to us. This could be very important for everyone.”

Portsmouth: Ashdown, Sonko, Dickinson, Ward, Lawrence, Mokoena, Mullins, Hughes (sent off 66), Ritchie (Kitson 72), Nugent (Utaka 80), Kanu (Brown 72). Subs Not Used: Flahavan, Ciftci.
Leicester: Logan, Kennedy, Miguel Vítor, Lamey, Morrison, King (N’Guessan 66), Dyer (Moussa 89), Moreno, Abe, Gallagher (Wellens 79), Howard. Subs Not Used: Berner, Fryatt, Weale, Hobbs.

Referee: F Graham (Essex). Attendance: 8,327. 


Leave a comment

Filed under match reports

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s