Waghorn Punishes QPR

Leicester City 4:0 Queens Park Rangers

Leicester returned to form and halted their losing streak with a 4-0 over QPR, a goalkeeping error tipping a finely balanced game in City’s favour…

Nigel Pearson made three changes to his starting line-up for this vital clash, with Neilson, Oakley and Dyer making way for Brown, Gallagher and Spearing.
City desperately needed an early goal instil some confidence after a run of four defeats and it duly arrived in the 5th minute. Wellens lobbed a ball into the penalty area and Howard rose to nod it down into the 6 yard box where King inched in front of his marker to prod the ball past Ikeme.
The rest of the half saw few chances in a tight encounter, but the tide turned in City’s favour just before the break.
Although Rangers had the ball in the net when Leigertwood’s long range effort deflected off Simpson, wrong-footing Weale, the lonesman’s flag was up for offside.
Soon after this the on-loan Wolves keeper handed control of the game to City on the stroke of half time. Ikeme made a dreadful hash of his clearance as he sprinted out to meet a long hoof forward from Brown. He didn’t connect properly and presented the ball to Waghorn who carefully guided it into the unguarded goal from 40 yards out.
Five minutes into the second half Waghorn struck again and this time it was one for the scrapbook. The youngster was fed down the right by Wellens and he cut inside before unleashing a terrific shot into the top left hand corner. 
QPR tried to come back, but the defence were in a mean mood. Simpson had a shot blocked by Weale on one of the few occasions they got through.   
Waghorn almost completed his hat trick with two near misses inside a minute. One effort crashed against the bar and another fine shot arrowed over the left hand angle.
At the other end Taarabt brushed the outside of the right hand post with a low shot on the turn, but it was City who would add to the scoreline. Morrison lobbed a high cross in from the right hand touchline and Howard nodded the ball past Ikeme, despite the close attentions of his marker.
With ten minutes remaining Waghorn was replaced by Vaughan and was given a standing ovation off the field. Sadly we might not be seeing much more of the Sunderland striker in a City shirt.
The rest of the game saw a Mexican Wave, much baiting of Neil Warnock, and a crowd now looking forward to an exciting run in… City had bounced back from a poor run in emphatic style, but results elsewhere meant it was ‘as you were’ with City, Swansea and Blackpool now contesting two play off places.
Nigel Pearson commented: “We needed a good response, there was no doubt about that. The result was always going to be more important than the performance, and that turned out to be the case.”

Leicester: Weale, Brown, Berner, Hobbs, Morrison, King, Wellens (Vaughan 80), Spearing, Gallagher, Howard, Waghorn (Adams 80). Subs Not Used: Logan, Oakley, N’Guessan, Kermorgant, Neilson.
QPR: Ikeme, Ramage, Stewart, Hill, Gorkss, Leigertwood, Ephraim, Taarabt, Faurlin, Cook (Buzsaky 55), Simpson (Balanta 77). Subs Not Used: Vine, Tosic, Cerny, Oastler, German.

Referee: Trevor Kettle (Berkshire). Attendance: 22,079.


Leave a comment

Filed under match reports

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s