A Tale of Four Cities

Leicester City 2:2 Coventry City

The M69 Derby ended all square at Filbert Way on Sunday, with Leicester and Coventry both claiming one half, one point and a dodgy goal apiece.

Nigel Pearson was forced into a change just before kick-off when Berner injured himself in the pre-match warm up, McGivern stepping up from the bench.
It didn’t seem to do City any harm, with them taking a third minute lead. A killer ball from Wellens fed Dyer down the left and he beat his marker and delivered a cross. McPake miscued his clearance, sending the ball straight to King who kept his composure and found the bottom right hand corner with a measured shot.
Two minute later City almost went further ahead when Waghorn swung a free-kick goalwards but Westwood tipped it round the right hand post. 
Coventry’s first chance came in the 14th minute but Baker’s shot on the turn went stright into the grasp of Weale.
At the other end Westwood came to Coventry’s rescue again, getting down to Dyer’s low shot after the City winger had been sent through by Waghorn.
Much to the home crowd’s delight it was soon 2-0, however. 
In the 19th minute another good probing ball from Wellens found Gallagher who chipped a cross over for King to head against the underside of the bar and down over the line. Whether the whole of the ball was over was difficult to tell even from multiple slowmotion camera angles, but the linesman signalled a goal and the Walkers Stadium was celebrating again.
City were rampant now and Waghorn was two inches shy of putting the finishing touch to a Wellens cross, while a Gallagher chip was headed off the line. 
Then Waghorn outpaced the Coventry centre-halves but hurried his shot over the bar.
Although Coventry enjoyed a late spell of pressure just before the break, they didn’t create any clear chances and the half had undoubtedly belonged to Leicester.
Sadly that was not the case in the second half, which saw a complete turn around in more ways than one.
Chris Coleman, who had cut a furious figure on the sidelines, had clearly given his team an almighty bollocking – wheras City seemed unsure how best to proceed with their two goal lead, opting to try and defend it.
Eight minutes into the half the Sky Blues pulled a goal back in spectacular fashion when a loose ball 8 yards out fell nicely for McPake to acrobatically volley a shot that was too hard for Weale to fully block. 
Gunnarsson was then introduced into the game for Coventry and immediately made his mark with a ridiculous challenge on McGivern that saw lengthy treatment for the Manchester City player after a clash of heads.
City had a chance to wrap up the game when Wellens sent a low ball across the face of goal but there were no takers.    
Instead, City found themselves conceding more and more ground to the visitors who had seized midfield dominance.
Kermorgant came on for Gallagher, but Coventry upped the pressure. Morrsion saw a shot from close in blocked by Weale’s legs and Wood’s follow up was blocked on the line by Solano.
Shortly after this Solano was replaced by Brown in an attempt to strenghten the defence, but Coventry found a way through in the 86th minute. 
A shot was blocked but the ball fell in the path of Morrison who squared for Deegan to net from close in. At the time of the original shot it appeared that Sears was clearly in an offside position, but there was no linesman’s flag.
City almost found a late winner when Oakley went clear on goal, but he couldn’t beat Westwood at his near post.
The Coventy keeper also did well to block Dyer in the last action of the game and both sides had to be content with a point.
City moved up to fourth, and other results went well, so nothing was dented by that squandering of a 2-0 lead, except local pride.
Leicester: Weale, Hobbs, Morrison, McGivern, King, Dyer, Solano (Brown 83), Oakley, Wellens, Gallagher (Kermorgant 77), Waghorn (Howard 88). Subs Not Used: Logan, N’Guessan, Adams, Neilson.
Coventry: Westwood, Cranie, McPake, Wood, Wright, Bell (Gunnarsson 57), Clingan, Baker (Sears 76), Deegan, Stead (Eastwood 66), Morrison. Subs Not Used: Barnett, Hall, Konstantopoulos, Hussey.

Referee: Lee Mason (Lancashire). Attendance: 23,093.


Leave a comment

Filed under match reports

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s