City Rock Blackpool

Blackpool 1:2 Leicester City

City won their first league game at Blackpool since 1937 on Saturday afternoon, with a goals from N’Guessan and Dyer capping a fine performance…

Nigel Pearson made just one change for this trip to the seaside with N’Guessan in for the suspended Wellens.
City had the first chance early on when a quickly taken throw in from Oakley caught out the Blackpool defence but Fryatt couldn’t beat Gilks from an acute angle. 
Blackpool then came close in the 12th minute when a rising shot from Dobbie out on the right was brilliantly tipped onto the bar by Weale.
After this close call City took a 15th minute lead. Waghorn sent N’Guessan through with a superbly precise 40 yard pass and the Frenchman coolly steered the ball past the advancing Gilks and in at the far post.
Ian Holloway’s side pressed forward in search of an equaliser and Vaughan and Bannan both went close.
At the other end King’s half volley from 25 yards was tipped round the post by Gilks. From the resulting corner Hobbs was inches away from nodding the ball in at the far post.
Blackpool then had an incredible let off when a goalmouth scramble from another corner ended with Fryatt firing the ball goalwards from one yard. Smonehow it struck Baptiste on the leg and bounced clear.
City had another golden opportunity to stretch their lead early in the second half when a fine run and cross from N’Guessan on the right was met by Waghorn from 6 yards. The ball bounced off both Gilks’ legs before being hooked away by a defender.
As the action swung from one end to the other Dobbie made a run into the box but was foiled by Weale at the near post.  
As the half progressed Blackpool pressed forward and Southern’s header was tipped round the left hand post by Weale.
Soon after Weale was tipping the ball around the same post when a Dobbie volley from 25 yards almost crept in.
There were nervous times for City, but the tension was dispelled in the 78th minute when City doubled their lead. Gallagher won the ball in midfield and then sent Fryatt down the right. His slide rule cross was met by Dyer who beat Gilks from 6 yards. The City fans shook the temporary stand as they celebrated the three points, though there was still a nervy end to the game.
Blackpool found a way past Weale at last in the 89th minute, beating two men before finding the net with a low shot from the edge of the area.
Five minutes time added on fired up the home crowd and with seconds remaining Adam went down in the area after contact from N’Guessan and there were loud appeals for a penalty.
Fortunately for N’Guessan, who’d had his best game in a City shirt to date, the ref didn’t want to know – booking Adam for diving – and seconds later he blew the final whistle amid furious scenes.
This wasn’t City’s problem however. They had won at Bloomfield Road for the first time in 73 years and regained their place in the play-off frame with a fine performance.    
Nigel Pearson observed: “We needed to get back to winning ways. If we had a bit of good fortune before the end we were certainly due it.”

Blackpool: Gilks, Baptiste, Eardley, Crainey, Evatt (Demontagnac 74), Southern, Adam, Bannan (Burgess 44), Vaughan, Dobbie, Taylor-Fletcher. Subs Not Used: Edwards, Butler, Euell, Husband, Rachubka.
Leicester: Weale, Brown, Berner, Hobbs, Morrison, King, Oakley, Gallagher (Howard 87), Fryatt, N’Guessan (Bruce 89), Waghorn (Dyer 59). Subs Not Used: Logan, Neilson, McGivern, Verma.

Referee: A Haines (Tyne & Wear). Attendance: 8,484.


Leave a comment

Filed under match reports

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s