City Crash Out of FA Cup

Cardiff City 4:2 Leicester City

A late collapse in time-added-on saw City dumped out of the FA Cup in this fourth round tie at Cardiff, when they had done enough to earn a replay over 90 minutes…

Nigel Pearson made three changes to his side for this second trip to Wales in eight days; with Wellens, N’Guessan and Waghorn in for King, Dyer and Fryatt.
There was a lively start to this cip tie and City had an early chance, when a headed clearance fell nicely for Waghorn but he got under his volley and ballooned the ball thirty yards over the bar.
Ledley then had the ball in the net for the home side but the celebrations were halted by the linesman’s flag.
It was only a temporary reperive for City as the Bluebirds took a 16th minute lead when Chopra crossed from the right and Bothroyd sent an emphatic header past Weale from close in.
City stuck to their task howver, and equalised in the 34th minute. Gallagher lofted a free-kick into the area and an unattended Morrison rose to nod it on past Marshall in Cardiff’s goal.
Five minutes later the City supporters were celebrating again as N’Guessan latched onto a chip forward from Oakley, sandwiched between defender and goalkeeper the City striker beat both, prodding the ball home from close range.
City took that lead in at the break  and kept it for most of the second half. Hobbs did well to clear a McCormack free-kick and Weale pulled off a fine save from a vicious Chpra shot.
But they were finally breached in disappointing fashion in the 71st minute when a Whittingham free-kick from wide on the right floated over everyone and in at the far post. 
City pressed forward in search of a winner: N’Guessan had claims for a penalty waved away when he was tripped and then Marshall pulled off a fantastic save, blocking a Kermorgant header.
It looked as though City had earned a replay as th e90 minutes were up, but time-added-on brought a sting in the tail.
A shot from the edge of the area hit a Cardiff player and fell into the path of substitute Burke who fired it home from 16 yards.
Worse was to come a minute later as Chopra had his shot blocked by Morrison but McCormack was on hand to net the rebound.
The 4-2 scoreline was harsh on City, who had battled well… at least until the clock read 90.

Cardiff: Marshall, Quinn (Burke 61), Gerrard, Hudson, Kennedy, Whittingham, Ledley, Blake, Chopra, McCormack, Bothroyd. Subs Not Used: Enckelman, Gyepes, Taiwo, Meades, Feeney. 
Leicester: Weale, Brown, Hobbs, Morrison, McGivern, Oakley, Wellens, Gallagher, N’Guessan, Kermorgant, Waghorn (Fryatt 82). Subs Not Used: King, Powell, Dyer, Logan, Howard, Neilson.

Referee: P Crossley (Kent).

Attendance: 10,961.


Leave a comment

Filed under match reports

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s