Leicester in to Fourth Round

Leicester City 2:1 Swansea City

Leicester City deservedly won this FA Cup 3rd round tie and now find themselves in the 4th round draw for the first time in four years.

NigelPearson resisted the urge to rest players and fielded the side that started against Sheffield United with Hobbs recovered from injury. It was Swansea who started the brightest and had already caused concern in the City defence when they took a deserved lead in the 10th minute when Cotterill was allowed too much time to line up a 30 yard shot that flew past Weale in to the top corner. This was a wake up call for City but it was Swansea who could have doubled their lead when Pintado and then Joe Allon brought out saves from Chris Weale. In between City thought they had equalised when, following a corner, Richie Wellens saw his shot superbly saved by De Vries in the Swansea goal and then Matt Oakley saw the rebound blocked by the keeper who had recovered brilliantly.

But City didn’t have to wait long for an equaliser. In the 38th minute Matty Fryatt did well on the left to control the ball, hold off a challenge and lay a perfect pass in to the path of Andy King who side footed past de Vries from the edge of the area. Swansea may have wondered how they went in level at half time but in the second half it was Leicester who asserted themselves and showed more desire to win in difficult conditions. It was scrappy at times but City had more of the ball and made the better chances as Swansea became restricted to long range efforts.

Michael Morrison had a goal-bound effort blocked by a defenders outstretched leg and then Matty Fryatt saw his angled shot saved by De Vries and as City turned up the heat Swansea were pegged back in their own half and had to do some serious defending with Tate outstanding at the heart of their back line. The breakthrough came in the 89th minute to save us from a replay that nobody wanted. McGivern launched a free kick from inside his own half to the far corner of the Swansea area where Kermogant was there to head the ball across for N’Guessan who placed a header past De Vries from 12 yards and send the meagre crowd wild.

City played out the remaining time without any scares and claim a spot in today’s 4th round draw for the first time since Jan 2006 when they saw off Tottenham in what became Craig Levein’s leaving present. Swansea will have travelled back to South Wales with a feeling of Deja Vu as this cup tie mirrored the League encounter on the opening day; they started brightly, took the lead but lost as Leicester came back and Danny N’Guessan came off the bench to grab the winner. A good day’s work from Leicester who progressed to the next round and managed to avoid and further injuries in to the bargain.

Leicester: Weale, Hobbs, Neilson, Morrison, McGivern, Andy King, Dyer (Gallagher,58) ,Oakley (N’Guessan, 75), Wellens, Fryatt, Howard (Kermorgant, 75)
Subs not used:
Logan, Adams, O’Neill,

Swansea: De Vries, Tate, Monk, Painter, Serran, Pratley (Dobbie, 89), Lopez, Cotterill, Allen (Gower,  78), van der Gun, Pintado (Trundle, 81)
Subs not used
Williams, Butler, Cornell, Richards,

Referee: P Taylor (Hertfordshire) Attendance: 12,307

Leave a comment

Filed under Uncategorized

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s