Another Disaster…

Leicester City 1:3 Bristol City

Another very poor performance from City handed Bristol City a 3-1 victory at Filbert Way on Tuesday night…

Nigel Pearson made four changes to the side that surrendered at Forest, with full-backs Neilson and Berner replaced by Morrison and McGivern; Gallagher in for Kermorgant and leading scorer Fryatt dropped to the bench with N’Guessan taking his place.
City began the game pressing forward and eager to make amends and they should have been awarded a penalty early on.
After a mix up between Robins’ keeper Gerken a defender Waghorn was clearly tripped in the area for as clear a penalty as you could wish to see, but the linesman didn’t see it like that.
By the 18th minute City were behind when an incredible run from Sproule saw him go past four blue shirts before tucking the ball under Weale. 
N’Guessan went close for City as they desperatley tried to claw their way back into the game, but it was the visitors who found the net again in the 29th minute. Skuse fired a 30 yard shot into the top left hand corner, though Weale seemed slow to react.
Any City response either petered out, or was halted by a series of increasingly poor offside calls. And the same linesman also failed to spot a hand to ball offence in the area when N’Guessan’s cross was virtually autographed by McAllister.
The same eleven emerged from the tunnel for the second half  but Weale was the busier keeper, doing well to smother a shot from Sproule and  then save a McAllister effort.
Fryatt came on for N’Guessan in the 67th minuute and City pressed forward for  a spell, but this ended in calamity.
Hobbs attempted a surging run down the middle, but attempted to beat his man and stumbled. Four Bristol players steamed down the field towards Weale, with Ajax’s Evander Sno producing a clinical finish to kill the game off. 
With ten minutes remaining the evening got even worse when Waghorn allowed his frustration to boil over and was late in a challenge with McAllister. He got a straight red card, meaning he gets Christmas off, and also had to be carried off injured.
In stoppage time Fryatt got in behind the visitors back line to grab and late reply, but the goal music and enthusiatic PA announcement merely served to grate on the nerves.
Nigel Pearson commented: “It was so important that we scored the first goal, but we ended up conceding two goals in quick succession and the players’ confidence seemed to be affected after that. Our confidence tonight seemed a bit fragile and we’ve just got to work through that.”

Leicester: Weale, Brown, Hobbs, Morrison, McGivern, King, Oakley, Wellens, Gallagher, N’Guessan (Fryatt 68), Waghorn. Subs Not Used: Dyer, Howard, Adams, Kermorgant, Neilson, Pentney.
Bristol City: Gerken, Orr, Fontaine, Nyatanga, McAllister (McCombe 83), Sproule, Skuse, Sno (Johnson 85), Hartley (Elliott 78), Maynard, Haynes. Subs Not Used: Clarkson, Williams, Saborio, Henderson.

Referee: S D Cook (Surrey). Attendance: 19,349.


Leave a comment

Filed under match reports

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s