City Fail to Turn Up for Early Kick Off

Nottingham Forest 5:1 Leicester City

Leicester City were swept aside by a rampant Forest side at the City Ground yesterday, with Robert Earnshaw grabbing a hat trick…

4,500 City fans followed their third placed team to Nottingham in anticipation of a decent east midlands derby, what unfolded in front of them was an utterly humiliating horror show.
Nigel Pearson made one change to his side, bringing Oakley back into the fold in place of Gallagher, but it soon became clear that those in royal blue had not turned up for this early kick off.
Forest built up some early pressure, using their pace down the flanks, which City struggled with all afternoon. 
Weale punched one effort clear and then Brown made a timely headed clearance.
City’s resistance lasted until the 12th minute, when a good move down the right ended with Earnshaw speeding into the area and slotting the ball neatly past Weale.
Weale then made saves from Blackstock and Anderson before Nigel Pearson decided it was time for a change in the 28th minute. 
He brought Howard on for Kermorgant, but nothing improved.
Forest doubled their lead in the 32nd minute. City failed to clear a corner properly and Cohen fired in a shot from the edge of the area. It struck someone in a crowded penalty area and landed neatly at the feet of Earnshaw who prodded it home from close in while the City appealed for offside in vain.
Nigel Pearson then brought Dyer on for Fryatt, but City still couldn’t make any impression on the game leading up to the break.   
City desperately needed an early goal in the second half, but despite a couple of half chances for Howard and Waghorn, it was Forest who sealed the game going 3-0 up in the 49th minute.
Berner sent the ball directly into the path of Earnshaw on the half way line. One on one with Brown the Welshman turned the City defender inside out  before sending the ball over Weale and into the net to complete his hat trick.
City were then awarded a penalty when Waghorn was clearly tripped in the area but, after a word with the linesman, the ref changed his mind and awarded a free-kick, which came to nothing.  
Instead, the pain just kept coming for those Leicester fans packed into the Bridgford lower. In the 54th minute a good run by Blackstock opened up space for Leicester born and bred Paul Anderson to curl a shot across Weale and into the net, sticking the knife into a club that rejected him as a kid.
City did pull a goal back in the 64th minute when Wellens fired a shot against Morgan’s elbow and the ref harshly pointed to the spot. 
Waghorn fired his spot kick into the roof of the net, but the celebrations in the away end were muted to say the least.
Forest restored their four goal advantage in the 77th minute with both the subs getting involved, Weale parried a 25 yard shot from McCleary, but the ball fell for Adebola who couldn’t miss from three yards.
It had been a dreadful performance from City, with the fans feeling badly let down, and Nigel Pearson now has three days to pick them up off the floor to face Bristol City.  
The City boss admitted: “It was shocking. Embarrassing really, because we were second best from the first minute…”

Forest: Camp, Morgan, Wilson, Gunter, Shorey, Cohen, Anderson (McCleary 70), McKenna, Majewski (Tyson 60), Blackstock (Adebola 66), Earnshaw. Subs Not Used: Smith, Chambers, McGoldrick, McGugan.
Leicester: Weale, Brown, Berner, Hobbs, Neilson (Morrison 63), King, Oakley, Wellens, Fryatt (Dyer 36), Kermorgant (Howard 28), Waghorn. Subs Not Used: Gallagher, Logan, N’Guessan, McGivern.

Ref: M Russell (Herts). Attendance: 28,626.


Filed under match reports

2 responses to “City Fail to Turn Up for Early Kick Off

  1. LE9 Fox

    Let’s all calm down shall we. It is clear that maybe 3rd spot was a false position for us but this is a mediocre division and you only need a decent string of results to be ‘up there’. Forest did their homework on us and clealry knew what to do to unhinge our previously tight defence. Now most managers in this division might be able to analyse Leicester and have an idea how to beat us but very few have the players to do it – the difference with Forest was that they had real quality in their side and a good helping of skill and pace and this unlocked Hobbs/Brown time and again. Throw in the worst collective performance by a City side for years and the outcome was inevitable.
    It’s not the end of the world, it’s one bad defeat. We lost 6-1 at Ipswich when we got promoted in 2002/03 by the way.

  2. Fair review I think. The penalty-that-never-was was definitely inside the area from my seat, but at 3-0 I think it would still have been too late – the penalty-that-never-should-have-been was undoubtedly to make up for it by the referee.

    Strange game, a reality check but should detract from how well Leicester have started the season – reality checks come from time to time, we’re probably overdue ours and I wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t get one on tuesday at Bramall Lane.

    Dunno whether it was an off-day, but Brown seemed like a spectacularly weak link in your defence (admittedly, his colleagues didn’t do much better).

    Good luck with the rest of the season, take that result away and you must surely be pleased with the progression you’re showing under Pearson.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s