City’s Late Show Sees Off Plymouth

Leicester City 1:0 Plymouth Argyle

City left it until the 3rd minute of time added on to beat Plymouth at a rain-swept Walkers Stadium, on Saturday. 

Nigel Pearson made two changes to his side with Kermorgant and Gallagher in for N’Guessan and the suspended Oakley. Brown took the captain’s armband in Oakley’s absence.
City immediately settled into a good rhythm and there were early chances for Kermorgant and Wellens before Fryatt looked certain to open the scoring with a penetrating run through Argyle’s defence, but he narrowly missed the target.
Argyle pushed forward for a spell but never really troubled City’s defence, and the home side regained the initiative towards half time.
Wellen’s saw his well struck shot saved by Larrieu, and the Argyle keeper also did well to block a Berner effort.
Fryatt nodded a chance just wide and Hobbs saw his far post header bundled round the post by Larrieu, but the sides went in at the break goalless.
City’s dominance continued in the second half but still they couldn’t deliver that final ball. Waghorn went close with a header and then a long range effort; Gallagher had a shot blocked; and then Fryatt beat two defenders before Arnason fell on the ball, blatantly handling it in the process. Referee McDermid saw no offence, but he was to make up for it later.
Nigel Pearson then brought on N’Guessan for Kermorgant and Howard for Waghorn, but still City could not find a way through.
On a rare foray upfield Plymouth’s Mackie went down in the area under a challenge from Brown but, to a huge sigh of relief from the home crowd, the ref booked Mackie for diving.
N’Guessan had a shot saved and City were camped out in Argyle’s half for the closing minutes.
Three added on minutes of the allocated four had passed when City finally made the breakthrough. 
The ref awarded City a corner that should have been a goal-kick,  Adams – just on for Fryatt – delivered a good ball, N’Guessan fired a low shot through a crowded six yard area but it was blocked on the line… it fell nicely for King who jabbed it home for a late, late winner that delighted the home crowd.
It also delighted Nigel Pearson whose team moved up to third place: “We nicked it late on, but that’s the nature of football. I’m delighted for the players because their application was first class. They are a group of talented players who are striving to be in a better place, whether we can achieve that success in the form of promotion remains to be seen.”

Leicester: Weale, Brown, Berner, Hobbs, Neilson, King, Wellens, Gallagher, Fryatt (Adams 84), Kermorgant (N’Guessan 72), Waghorn (Howard 76). Subs Not Used: Logan, Campbell, Morrison, McGivern.
Plymouth: Larrieu ,Sawyer ,Lowry ,Judge ,Folly ,Mackie ,Paterson (Clark ,59 ) ,Fletcher ,Duguid (Johnson ,88 ) ,Arnason ,Gow (Fallon ,80). Subs Not Used: Letheren, Sheridan, Barnes, Noone.

Referee: D McDermid (London). Attendance: 27,174.


Leave a comment

Filed under match reports

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s